Vehicle Operation Liability Awareness for Law Enforcement (MMA Sponsored)
In an effort to help protect the Law Enforcement Community, MMA Risk Management Services is excited to sponsor Vehicle Operation Liability and Legal Concerns for Law Enforcement, presented by Scott Mattox. MMA claims data has revealed that Motor vehicle accidents account for 74% of all Law Enforcement claims. Over the past ten (10) years, motor vehicle accidents for Law Enforcement has resulted in 128 tragic injuries and over $4,779,000 in property damage.
Vehicle operations is one of the most dangerous activities that officers routinely perform. This class is designed to increase all Law Enforcement Officers awareness and understating of the liability and legal concerns arising out of the use of vehicles in police operations. This class will provide tools to help officers control exposures and understand potential dangers.
Topics covered includes:
- Safety, liability awareness, and legal concerns during routine patrol, emergency operation, and pursuits.
- Officer safety, liability awareness and legal concerns for checkpoints and roadblocks.
- National and State statistics on vehicle operation in law enforcement.
- Relevant national and state case law including: Norton v. Hall.
- Ministerial Activities v. Discretionary Functions and the Maine Tort Claims Act M.R.S. 14 Chapter 741.
- Understanding M.R.S. 17-A 203; 29-A 2054; and 25 Sec. 2806 as they relate to vehicle liability.
- Maine Chief’s Model Policy on: Routine and Emergency Vehicle Operation, Roadblocks, and Pursuits.
Training is provided to Property & Casualty Pool at no cost to you, as a value added service. For Workers Compensation Fund only members an attendee fee of $38 will be charged.1-800-590-5583, or
- No Events