Vehicle operation is one of the most common yet dangerous things an officer does. Unfortunately, police liability resulting from vehicle operation is not uncommon. This class is an awareness training for officers and law enforcement agencies that is designed to increase their understanding of the liability and legal concerns arising out of and around vehicle use in police operation. This is an area where officers can help control their exposure to risk by better understanding the dangers.
Specific topics covered include:
· Officer safety, liability awareness, and legal concerns during routine patrol, emergency operation, and pursuits.
· Officer safety, liability awareness and legal concerns for checkpoints and roadblocks.
· National and State statistics on vehicle operation in law enforcement.
· Relevant national and state case law including: Norton v. Hall.
· Ministerial Activities v. Discretionary Functions and their connection to the Maine Tort Claims Act M.R.S. 14 Chapter 741.
· Understanding M.R.S. 17-A 203; 29-A 2054; and 25 Sec. 2806 as they relate to vehicle liability.
· In class active review of the Maine Chief’s Model Policy on: Routine and Emergency Vehicle Operation, Roadblocks, and Pursuits.
Dirigo Safety, LLC understands that there are times when you must miss your scheduled training class due to emergencies, work schedule conflicts, or personal reasons. However, when you do not call or email us to cancel you from our training class you may be preventing other officers from being able to sign up. If you do not contact us prior to the start of the class, you will be charged.
You may call us at (207) 376-7427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirigo Safety, LLC is a privately owned training and consulting company contracted with the State of Maine to provide certain technical expertise. We are not a state agency or a law firm, and do not provide private legal advice.
Copyright © 2018 Dirigo Safety, LLC - All Rights Reserved