Who We Are
Dirigo Safety, LLC is a public safety advocacy training and consulting company. As career law enforcement officers, attorneys, paramedics, and drug recognition experts we’ve made it our mission to contribute to community safety through affordable training, education, and consultation on safety matters to public and private sector business.
Our primary role is contracted partners with the Maine Bureau of Highway Safety to deliver Traffic Safety Resource Prosecutor Services and Law Enforcement Liaison Services to prosecutors and law enforcement agencies statewide. Furthermore, we are partners with the Maine Center for Disease Control to provide administrative oversight of the Enforcement of Underage Drinking Laws grant to law enforcement agencies statewide. Lastly, we conduct law enforcement training largely in the area of Constitutional Law concerns.
In addition to these very important public safety services for government agencies, Dirigo Safety, LLC also provides private sector businesses with custom designed workplace safety trainings in alcohol and drug impairment (as well as emergency medical classes such as First Aid, CRP, AED and a variety of OSHA classes). We use a business model structured after proven law enforcement investigative techniques learned and practiced successfully for thousands of hours in the classroom, at national conferences, and most importantly – on the street.
Customized Training for the Workplace
Because no two companies are the same, Dirigo Safety, LLC strives to deliver training that is customized for your workplace. If asked, we will review company policies pertaining to alcohol, drugs, and impairment while consulting with your HR and legal department about the policy intent. Although we do not provide legal advice on company policies, we will weave the pertinent points into the presentations created for your employees. The goal is to create a training that helps your employees better understand the subject matter and how it relates to company policy.
Dirigo Safety, LLC has comfortable classroom facilities at our office headquarters in Auburn, Maine where we will host any of our classes. However, we can also conduct classes at your location within 50 miles of Dirigo Safety, LLC headquarters at no extra charge. This may save employee travel costs. Workplaces interested in hosting classes farther away are subject to a travel fee in addition to the costs listed below.
Customized Classes Available:
Drug and Alcohol Impairment Safety Awareness:
This is a 4-hour introductory class provides an overview of alcohol and trending drugs of abuse; the dangers they present to individuals, schools, and in the workplace; and suggested counter- strategies. Participants also gain an overview of:
· The current most dangerous drugs of abuse trending on the national level.
· Recognizing evidence of use and abuse in the workplace such as paraphernalia, vapes, juuling and other drug accoutrements.
· The general signs and symptoms of impairment and abuse of impairing drugs.
· An overview of the legalization of recreational marijuana in Maine.
· Signs and symptoms of alcohol and drug overdose.
· An overview of Narcan. What it is; how it works; where to get it, and how to use it.
· Information on public and private resources for getting addition help.
· The application of company policy (where appropriate).
· Handouts and a model Observed Behavior Documentation form that your company can modify for its own use.
This course costs $75 per student with a 10-student minimum.
Drug Impariment Observation Awareness:
This is a 7-hour class designed for school officials, workplace supervisors, healthcare providers, and others who may be regularly interacting with impaired individuals. Course participants will learn to recognize, identify, and understand the signs of impairment related to alcohol and drugs. This class borrows many of the scientific and medical concepts used to train law enforcement officers to identify impaired drivers and applies these principles to workplace safety.
· All instruction included in the above class: Drug and Alcohol Impairment Safety Awareness.
· Specific indications, signs, and symptoms of impairment for each of the seven categories of impairing drugs.
· Video examples of drug impairment in each category.
· Focused instruction of how legalized recreational marijuana may affect workplace safety.
· Instruction and practice using a system of workplace drug impairment observation. Participants will learn and practice observing certain workplace behaviors; learn and practice how to inquire with workers about unusual behavior; and learn and practice how to document such observations using model Observed Behavior Documentation sheets.
· Overview of chemical testing for drug presence.
This course costs $125 per student, with a 10-student minimum.