In this course of instruction, the participant will learn best practices for responding to mental health calls for service.
At the end of this unit of instruction, the student will be able to accomplish the following
- Define “Mentally Ill Person; Severe and Persistent Mental Illness; and Assertive Community Treatment” under Maine Law.
- Identify causes of a mental health crisis situation.
- Identify warning signs of emotional distress.
- Identify different types of mental health disorders.
- List four strategies that a law enforcement officer can use when responding to a known mental health crisis.
- Identify local, state, and federal resources that can assist your agency.
Prepared by: Chief Robert MacKenzie, Kennebunk PD
Chief Eliot Moya, Eliot PD
Meaghan O’Leary, Dirigo Safety, LLC