This class is designed to familiarize students with crime scene investigation and evidence collection. Discussion will center on techniques needed for securing and managing the scene, types of physical evidence, photographing of evidence, collecting and preserving evidence, documenting and securing an evidentiaiy chain of custody. Emphasis is placed on the first responding officer’s responsibilities as they relate to a successful investigation.
After this course of instruction, the student will be able to:
- Identify the responsibilities of the first responder at the
- Identify why photographing of evidence is
- Identify techniques and materials used in the collection and packaging of various types of evidence.
- Identify procedures for tagging/marking
- Identify what is meant by the “chain of evidence” or “chain of custody” and why it must be maintained.