- The responder shall understand what hazardous substances are and the risks associated with them in an incident.
- The responder shall understand the potential outcomes associated with an emergency created when hazardous substances are present.
- The responder shall have the ability to recognize the presence of hazardous substances in an emergency.
- The responder shall be able to identify the hazardous substances, if possible.
- The responder shall have an understanding of their role in the emergency response including site security and control and the use of the U.S. D.O.T Emergency Response Guidebook.
- The responder shall have the ability to realize the need for additional resources and to make the appropriate notifications to the communication center.