As a law enforcement officer, you can expect to encounter people with several types of disabilities. Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 prohibits State and local government from discriminating against an individual with a disability. Municipal and State police and county sheriff departments are bound by this Federal law.
- Identify who is protected by the American Disabilities Act.
- Demonstrate sensitive strategies when interacting with people who have disabilities.
- List the impact of ADA upon architectural access for persons with disabilities.
- Identify necessary policies, practices and procedures modifications to meet ADA mandates.
- Use state and federal resources to learn more about ADA