The first step to a successful criminal prosecution is a thorough investigation. This course is intended to assist newly assigned detectives, or patrol officers conducting investigations, in understanding the aspects of criminal investigations. It will give investigators a comprehensive review of the responsibilities throughout an investigation. It is designed to provide a foundation of basic techniques to build upon throughout the detective’s career.
What students will learn:
- Scene preservation and documentation
- Witness and suspect interviews
- Scene search techniques
- Evidence processing and collection
- Defining “confirmations bias”
- Constitutional protections in collecting evidence and conducting interviews